These days, having facial hair is becoming more and more prevalent. For a long time, the clean-shaven look was the gold standard, but lately, men are adopting either the scruffy look or going with a full beard entirely. Myself, I like to keep a nicely maintained goatee, and for that, I need a quality trimmer. Whether you’re rocking a mustache or a full mountain man beard, a high-quality trimmer is necessary for keeping your facial hair in pristine condition. Today I’ll be looking at the Philips Norelco T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer and show you what it can do for your face.
Table of Contents
Philips Norelco Brand
When it comes to electric shavers and trimmers, no other brand is as synonymous with these devices as Philips Norelco. While other electronics companies such as Braun or Panasonic dabble in electric shavers as part of their overall list of products, Philips Norelco deals almost exclusively in the men’s grooming department. While this may seem like a trivial notion, what it means is that Philips Norelco products are typically much more reliable and effective than other devices. Because the company only does trimmers and shavers, they know how to produce high-quality, top-tier devices. To that end, the Philips Norelco T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer is a testament to the company’s commitment to excellence.
Who Needs This Trimmer?
If you’re the type of guy who likes the clean-shaven look, then the T980 Turbo is not for you. If, however, you have or want to maintain a mustache, goatee, or beard, then this trimmer is the answer to your prayers. The problem that most trimmers have is the mess that they can make. Whiskers and hairs can collect as you go, making cleanup much harder. However, with the T980, the hair is sucked into the receptacle as you shave, so cleaning is as simple as emptying the cartridge over the trash. Simply put, if you want a quick, efficient, hygienic way to maintain your facial hair, the T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer is for you.
Trimmer vs. Shaver
For some of you, there may be confusion as to the difference between a shaver and a trimmer. Here are the basic differences:
- A shaver is designed to cut your facial hair as close to the skin as possible for a nice, smooth shave. These devices are meant to mimic the results of using a traditional razor blade.
- Trimmers are built to trim and maintain facial hair. Whether it’s a full beard or just a mustache, most trimmers come with adjustable settings so you can get the ideal length without having to worry about cutting too close.
What is Vacuum Technology?
Looking at the T980, you may be wondering what the Turbo Vacuum part of the product name means. As the name implies, this trimmer vacuums up your facial hair as you shave, for a mess-free experience every time. Additionally, this unit comes with a turbo setting, for those who want to add more power to the suction. If you have a lot of hair or are looking to reduce your beard length significantly, the turbo setting is made for you. Most trimmers do not have this feature, but if you’re looking for a top-of-the-line device, the T980 Turbo is one of the best.
Philips Norelco T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer
- Vacuum technology means no mess
- Turbo setting for maximum suction
- Hair receptacle comes with viewing window, so you know when to empty
- Nine adjustable length settings for maximum customization
- Mini trimmer for extra control and styling
- Sleek, ergonomic design makes it very easy to handle
- Blades are self-sharpening, so you don’t have to replace
- Comes with a cleaning brush for easy maintenance
- Vacuum can be loud, especially when on turbo setting
- In some cases, hair may blow out of the chamber if receptacle is almost full
- Usually requires turbo setting to ensure all of the hair is sucked up
- Placement of the mini trimmer is awkward and can be difficult to see at certain angles
- In rare cases, the length setting may not lock properly, meaning it will adjust once pressure is added
- Nine adjustable settings
- Vacuum suction keeps hair contained
- Mini Trimmer for expert styling and edge maintenance
- Self-sharpening blades
- Easy viewing window shows how much hair is collected
- Comes with cleaning brush
- Includes carrying case and charger for traveling
How short can I trim my hair with this device?
The lowest setting (#1) is rated to cut as close as 1.5 millimeters. However, you can remove the trim guard for an even closer shave. The design of the blades is such that you shouldn’t risk cutting yourself without the guard.
Can I use it to cut my hair?
If you have long hair, I wouldn’t recommend it, as the long strands can clog the device much faster, requiring you to empty the cartridge several times while cutting. However, to maintain a short or almost bald look, this trimmer should be okay. However, make sure the cartridge is empty, as it can still fill up fast when shaving your whole head.
Can I use this shaver in other countries with different outlets?
Unfortunately, the charger is not rated for European outlets, only American.
If you’re looking for a durable beard trimmer to maintain your facial hair, look no further than the Philips Norelco T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer. While it is priced much higher than other similar devices, the price reflects the high-quality of this trimmer, and it can be well worth the investment. I love the vacuum design, and I like the full range of adjustable settings provided with the trimmer. Whether you have a mustache or a full beard, the Philips Norelco T980 Turbo Vacuum Trimmer can handle it all.